PET Scan

Egg and bacon at 5:30 is not very good. Decaf coffee tolerable.

Bathed and dressed. No underwear as such because I wanted to be reallllll comfortable; old sweats (meaning I do not have any new sweats) my moms undershirt, an old white shirt, not ironed, socks and sandals (how tacky). I did make my hair look o.k. This took maybe 30 minutes at best.

I get anxious when I have to wait for a procedure which entails a needle stick.

Today was no different. The scan was not until 12:10 so I had to amuse myself for 5 hours. I read emails; Facebook; catalogs and wished the time would pass.

I was so hungry by 11 when Kathy came in her red VW to get me, I asked her if she had something to eat. She laughs at me and says “later” so off we go. Arrived on time; checked in; had to go to bathroom again because of all the water I had yesterday; sat in hard chairs and waited.

I knew they were looking for me when I saw the puzzled look on the nurses face as she tried to pronounce my last name. Gave my purse and water to Kathy and got up laughing and said “I know it is me because of not knowing how to pronounce my name.” I then pronounced it for her and the door closed behind us. She asked if I needed to go to the bathroom and I said I had just gone a few minutes ago.

We went into this green room (sale on green paint for all medical facilities) where she explained what she was going to do. I had a really nice comfortable leather recliner to sit in. We discussed my tiny rolling veins. She looked; came back after calling lab and switching out the 4 big tubes for smaller ones and then sat back down. I closed my eyes and told her I would pray that she hit the vein the first time and that I was going to the farm in MS. She was finished by the time I had gotten to the pond to sit down.

She flushed it with saline; injected some ativan ( I had decided to be claustrophobic) and said someone else would be in to inject the radioactive meds. This kind nurse was Teresa. She said she had stuck folk for over 30 years and I said that I had heard that only the very best worked at the Cancer Center.

She left and Alana came in with a metal box; Teresa came back with ear plugs (loud talking at the desk) and a warm blanket. By the time we had the blanket arranged Alana had finished with the radioactive solution in the IV tube. She said I might feel a little warm but that did not happen. She had to close the door because of the radiation I now had inside of me. The walls were radioactive proof. I had the lights turned off; earplugs in and could pull the cord if I needed anything. I decided to just go to sleep for the hour. I rested but did not sleep making sure I was on my side most of the time because I knew I would be on my back during the scan.

I pulled the cord once. Teresa came and I said “My blanket is shivering.” She asked, “Is the person underneath shivering, too.” I said “yes” so she brought another warm blanket.

Then it was time for the scan which Alana did. It was not claustrophobic at all and I did not need the ativan to keep calm. The scan lasted 20 minutes. During this time I had revisited in my mind, our old house, the cemetery, my two grandmothers houses; and 2 aunts houses. I walked each room and tried to remember what was in each room and was surprised at how much I could remember.

Then it was over. Kathy was in the waiting room. We left and headed to the nearest good diner which was Blue Plate Cafe. I had Southern Fried Catfish with mashed potatoes and gravy and green beans with two desserts…banana pudding and coconut pie. Did I eat it all? No, I brought most of it home.

Kathy had Southern Fried Chicken with the same sides except the coconut pie.  Arrived home right after 3. Called my sister and my daughter. Daughter not home so left message. Also called Susan. Ann, a friend called, and Chris texted. So all in all a really nice day.

Did we laugh? We did. Teresa and Kathy over the “shivering blanket statement” and Kathy at all the food I ordered knowing I could never eat that much.

The results will be in on Monday. So nothing to say except that procedure is in the books.

Peace until then. I have lots to do so will be busy.


12 thoughts on “PET Scan

  1. Just think – those technicians do this every day, but for the patients, it’s a big traumatic thing. You did what I would do during the 20 minutes of the scan. You went places in your mind and made the time go by in a more pleasant way rather than focusing on where you were at the moment.

    Liked by 1 person

  2. It’s interesting to read these posts. I enjoy your approach to a serious subject. I’ve had a CATscan once. No Ativan, but I didn’t get claustrophobic. They never asked, they couldn’t speak English, it was in QC.

    Liked by 1 person

    1. Thank you, Rebekah. Actually it is called a PET scan. I would not have taken the .05 mg of the Ativan had I been shown the actual machine. I suggested to them that this might be helpful in the future for patients to see the setup. I would have made a different decision. Thank you for your comments. I think that my approach stems from having been around hospitals and clinics so much. Needles are my one fear having had so many bad experiences.


  3. I was curious–you had to be in a special room, but then you were free to go? Does the radiation not last long? Glad it went so well for you. It’s nice when one has lovely places to go in one’s mind.

    Liked by 1 person

    1. I thought that was strange, too. They told me to push liquids for a couple of days to clear my kidneys. However, they said that I did not have enough to harm other people, yet during the first phase I was isolated. One website said the majority clears within 110 minutes. I drank a lot of water for two days just to be sure.

      Liked by 1 person

Voice your thoughts

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s